Saturday, December 28, 2013

Hebrews 3:1 "Therefore, holy brothers. who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus"


     These last few months of 2013 have been hard. I have been struggling this Christmas season, for some reason my heart has been heavy and it has been broken. We all have our struggles and drama and most of the time I am immune to what goes on around me I have recently been asked to recount the story of my life, this has left me feeling vulnerable and my emotions raw. I feel as if all the heartache I have endured has been newly afflicted on me. I know that God promises, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."(Psalm 147:3) but for some reason I felt forgotten. 
   I have been walking around for the last 3 weeks with a heart that has been broken, bound up and rebroken. I have been wondering when will God heal me? When will this pain that I am reliving stop? Along the way, I have had my shattered heart stepped on and ground into even smaller pieces, pieces that are so minuscule they can''t ever be put back into place!
    As I was faking my way through my day yesterday, I received a call from my sister. My sister is an amazing woman. She is a godly woman. She is a great comforter for me, she is a rock in this turbulent world. Even though our conversation lasted all of three minutes, she left me feeling better and with this gem, "I live looking up instead of looking straight ahead."  A small yet powerful statement of where she puts her trust, her energy, her hope. 
   I pondered on it, I thought about it, I slept on it. This morning I got up and decided that I need a bit of comfort from God, so I opened my bible, I looked for the shortest book I haven't read in the New Testament and I read it. Feeling less than fulfilled I started on the next book, Hebrews. I have a favorite quote from Hebrews that I will share with you later, I tried to skip ahead but I knew I needed to read it from the beginning. And there it was, staring me in my face the same thing my sister shared with me yesterday!
    All at once, I knew I had been focusing too much on myself and not enough on Jesus. Had I even asked God to heal my heart? Had I taken anytime to read His word? Have I made time to contemplate His love for me? I have been so caught up the drama of life and the excitement of Christmas, that I have forgotten to spend time with the One who loves me the most. The One who has adopted me, forgiven me, died for me, created me. The Maker of all things, my heavenly Father, He who does all things for my good. 
    As I write this my heart is no longer heavy, it has been bound up, it has been made new, I know it can love again, the way it did before.  If you are hurting, if your heart has been broken into pieces so small you are convinced that it will never be healed, look to Jesus. He is our Savior, our Redeemer, our Comfort. Allow Him to bind up your heart, to heal your wounds, to lead you to where He wants you to be. You will never go down the wrong path when you looking up instead of looking straight ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I've learned a lot this past year that most of the time when we are down and out it's because we are in the flesh and not in the Spirit. Even in my darkest hour (you know when), I was in the Spirit. This past year, I've been so in the flesh and not letting Him guide me nor ask Him nearly enough for wisdom that it's been a HARD year. I've done a lot of soul searching and pondering and have come to the realization that to be Spirit led is to love well. Afterall, if we act in love in ALL we do, we cannot really sin, can we? (I'm not saying we will never sin again, but the propensity to do so diminishes drastically!) Keep on walking with Him!

    ReplyDelete