Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Blessing of Family

     Wednesday, I had the pleasure of picking up my amazing mother-in-law to spend the holidays with us. This is a woman that I love dearly, I look to her as an example of  a Christian matriarch. She is a great example of motherly love, Godly obedience, patience and unconditional love.
I came to her family tattooed, non-believing, and a touch wild. I love her son fiercely  and that seemed to be enough for her. I worried and had nightmares that the man of my dream's family would hate me and try to convince him to leave me. Oh, how wrong I was.
    My now husband and I had been living together for 4 to 5 months. We were in bliss. I had finally found someone who loved me unconditionally and we got along so well. I have always felt I was difficult to live with but with Craig it was different. He makes me a better person, he tempers my wild streak. I am calmer with him, I am more tolerant and I love much  more freely. My husband was graduating from a military school we call ALS. His parents had come out to attend the ceremony and we were also going to surprise them with the news that I was expecting our first child. I was terrified.
I was everything that my husband was not, younger by 7 years, a little punk rock, a free spirit. a wild child. Upon meeting me there were hugs and kisses, friendly smiles and an openness I was not expecting. We waited a few days and then told them the news, there were tears not tears of regret or bitterness but tears of happiness. They knew that my husband loved me and I loved him. They supported us.
    Sadly 5 years ago my father-in-law passed away. He is missed every single day. His love touched me and changed me in ways that only improved me. His genuine interest in me as another one of his daughters taught me to accept others lovingly as they are, where they are.
    Back to my mother-in-law,we are enjoying her company over the holidays. She is a bundle of energy and patience. On morning I need a little time to fully wake up, I can hear her happily chatting with my youngest son. She teases, and jokes with him. His spirit is lifted with her presence. She encourages and builds up everyone she meets but as family we are granted unlimited access to her love and support. Yes, she is a wonderful example of God's love and forgiveness. Although she may not agree with what we do or how we do it, she loves us anyways. How blessed I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment